Sunday, August 7, 2011

A New Landscape

A year ago, this was me-hair freshly chopped and a week into facing the most significant challenge of my life. Now, a year later, I actually look the same (I decided to keep the pixie cut after my hair grew back), but my insides are rearranged forever. Ramin and I talk about our cancer journey like a monsoon that falls on the desert. You have no idea how the hard falling waters have effected the landscape, but as time passes and the waters recede, you begin to see the change and experience the transformation. There is still standing water in some areas of our hearts, but in the places where the desert floor is exposed, we're seeing how the last season of our lives has changed us...and we're grateful. We are more in love with our Daddy God than we have ever been before. We have seen his goodness and tasted His strength and tender mercy in ways we hadn't yet. He has, through the megaphone of suffering announced His love to us in unforgettable ways. We are also more in love with all of the people we share life with. We were so well taken care of by all of you. What priceless treasures family and community are. We are also more tuned in to what we're made for and how we can be living to intentionally express those God given deposits. We are so thankful for our life. Isaiah and I took a bike ride the other day and as we raced down a big hill (he was in front of me-fast little dude!), I was struck with what a gift it is to ride bikes with my almost 5 year old son. Before the development of the successful chemotherapy regimen I was on, lymphoma patients had 3 years at best. I have, prayerfully, the rest of my life! Praise God! At the end of a road marked by rough terrain, I can, with utmost confidence say that God is worthy of our trust. Whatever you're facing, He's strong enough to hold you, close enough to comfort you and totally in love with you.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Natalie,
Thank you so much for these words! They are truly just what I needed to read today.

Giddy said...

Natalie, thanks for sharing this about your journey. I echo what Meghan said.....that hearing this comes at the right time for me, too. Blessings to you and your family!

Giddy said...

(Giddy = giedra campbell)

Jordan said...

Amen. Thanks, Nat. Can you believe it has been a year? Woa...

I love you and am so proud of you, so thankful for your life and who you are...grateful to have you as my sister.

Thank you for this eloquent, encouraging post. L'chaim!